1.TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF.
My name is Ross Miller, married to Haley Miller and have two dogs Bella & Bo. Born and raised in Katy, Texas. Played ice hockey and football growing up, played hockey for the University of Arkansas. Graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree from University of Arkansas. Currently working in Civil Engineering for Texas Land Engineers. Started CrossFit in 2016 at Volt City CrossFit, joined Hippo in February 2019.
2. WHAT IS ONE THING WE MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT YOU OR BE SURPRISED TO FIND OUT?
My two front teeth are fake. I took a stick to the mouth when I was playing hockey in high school and it shattered those front teeth.
3. WHAT MADE YOU START CROSSFIT?
I love Olympic lifting and was looking for a gym that would allow me to do that. I also needed help with programming and planning out workouts. CrossFit offered both of those and the community aspect would help keep me accountable, so I gave it a try and I loved it.
4. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT CROSSFIT?
I love to push myself beyond the limits I thought I had. CrossFit helps break those limits and set a new bar for myself with each workout.
6. WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST CROSSFIT MOMENT?
PRing my mile time to sub-7 minutes during the half Murph workout was a big deal for me. I’ve never been a long-distance runner so hitting that was huge.
7. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVEMENT/LIFT? LEAST FAVORITE?
Favorite movement is Deadlift. Heavier the better, I love loading up the bar. Least favorite movement is overhead squat, it hurts, and it is something I need to work on.
8. WHAT ARE YOUR CROSSFIT GOALS? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO REACHING THEM?
My big goal one day is a ring muscle up. Gymnastics is a big weakness of mine and I feel like that is the ultimate CrossFit move. I have hit a few strict pull ups, still working on the kipping but will get there one day.
9. WHAT IMPACT HAS CROSSFIT HIPPO HAD ON YOUR LIFE IN AND OUT OF THE GYM?
CrossFit Hippo has totally changed my outlook on everyday life. I now have a hard time imagining missing a day at the gym (when will the Sunday wods start?!). But Hippo has helped me accomplish goals that I have had for a long time but never had the focus to pursue, not just in the gym but in life.
10. WHAT MAKES CROSSFIT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FITNESS PROGRAMS THAT YOU’VE TRIED IN THE PAST?
I’ve tried doing programs on my own, but nothing helps push you like being at the box and having other people suffer with you, which helps push me in the workouts.
11. IF YOU COULD CREATE A WOD, WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?
I love the Trail Run and Deadlift Ladder event from the 2016 Games. Make the run a 5K and then the deadlift ladder would range from 275# to 455#.
Or a more traditional workout would be something like this For Time: 100 Cal Row, 80 Wall Balls (20/14), 60 Situps, 40 Box Jump Overs (24/20), 20 Overhead Squats (135/95)
12. WHEN YOU’RE NOT AT CROSSFIT, WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING TO DO?
Hanging out with my wife and dogs or playing hockey.