Kevin is one of the OG members here at CrossFit Hippo. He has been here coming up on 4 years! I have enjoyed watching Kevin grow as an athlete getting stronger and being a tremendous example for our up and coming athletes. Kevin doesn’t say much but he is always kind with what he does say. If you see him at the 5am on a Friday he is heading out fishing or hunting for the weekend. We love that Kevin has consistently stayed Humble Hungry and Happy throughout the years. Keep up the great work Kevin!
1.TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF.
I was born and raised here in Katy. Live here now with my girlfriend and our 3 dogs. I work for Academy Sports and Outdoors include. Besides working out, my hobbies fishing, hunting, golf, basically anything outdoors, even recently getting into camping and hiking. Some say I have an unhealthy obsession with Texas A&M Football, but that’s their opinion.
2. WHAT IS ONE THING WE MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT YOU OR BE SURPRISED TO FIND OUT?
I love to cook.
3. WHAT MADE YOU START CROSSFIT?
I had been lifting weights and running for about 3 years when a friend invited/challenged me to come try a CrossFit workout, and I was blown away by the intensity (and my lack of cardio!). I was hooked immediately. I started skipping the regular gym 2 or 3 times a week to do CrossFit workouts instead. One afternoon I was invited to come try out a new box, CrossFit Hippo. I signed up that same day and never looked back.
4. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT CROSSFIT?
I really enjoy the community.
6. WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST CROSSFIT MOMENT?
Hitting my first ever Ring Muscle Up during the Friday Night Lights Event for Open 2018.
7. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVEMENT/LIFT? LEAST FAVORITE?
Favorite – Cleans
Least Favorite – KB Swings and RUNNING
8. WHAT ARE YOUR CROSSFIT GOALS? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO REACHING THEM?
I have a few weightlifting goals I am really close to hitting, but my main goal is to just keep improving overall.
9. WHAT IMPACT HAS CROSSFIT HIPPO HAD ON YOUR LIFE IN AND OUT OF THE GYM?
In the gym, I’ve never been stronger, and my cardio has never been as good. Outside of the gym I’m making healthier choices especially when it comes to my diet.
10. WHAT MAKES CROSSFIT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FITNESS PROGRAMS THAT YOU’VE TRIED IN THE PAST?
Two things. First, it never gets old. There’s just so many combinations of movements, scaling options, etc. I’ve been doing CrossFit for nearly 4 years now and still look forward to working out every day. Second, the results are just better.
11. IF YOU COULD CREATE A WOD, WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?
7 minute AMRAP consisting of Squat Cleans and DUs, with maybe some Pull-ups. Preferably after an intense strength session.
12. WHEN YOU’RE NOT AT CROSSFIT, WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING TO DO? Either a day on the water fishing, or a quiet night at home with my girlfriend and dogs, cooking a good meal and binge watching tv shows.