Athlete of the Month – Jose Olvera and Maria Martinez
Thank you Maria and Jose for being such an important part of our community. For almost two years, CrossFit Hippo has enjoyed your enthusiasm, your positive attitude and willingness to remain coachable. You continue to learn and grow with the herd. You guys are an awesome couple and we appreciate your dedication and commitment to our box. Congrats on the well-deserved recognition of Athletes of the Month!
1.TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF.
Maria : My name is Maria, I have my own business with my husband Jose. I recently became vegetarian and I love it. I have 5 beautiful kids.
Jose: I have been self employed for the past 20 years and loving every minute of it. I have a beautiful wife of 31 years. 5 children that keep me young.
2. WHAT IS ONE THING WE MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT YOU OR BE SURPRISED TO FIND OUT?
Maria : I can stay up past midnight cleaning my kitchen.
Jose: I am the worst speller and suck at math.
3. WHAT MADE YOU START CROSSFIT?
Maria : My husband dragged me into it.
Jose: To stay healthy
4. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT CROSSFIT?
Maria : I enjoy that every workout is a challenge.
Jose: The awesome staff and great friends.
5. WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST CROSSFIT MOMENT?
Maria : Becoming an athlete of the month.
Jose: When my kids came to cheer for me at the Open.
6. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVEMENT/LIFT? LEAST FAVORITE?
Maria : My favorite dead lifts and my least favorite is snatch.
Jose: My favorite is handstand push-ups and my least favorite are weight lunges.
7. WHAT ARE YOUR CROSSFIT GOALS? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO REACHING THEM?
Maria : I want to build more muscle, one more year should do the trick.
Jose: My crossfit goal is to get my double unders, far from close.
8. WHAT IMPACT HAS CROSSFIT HIPPO HAD ON YOUR LIFE IN AND OUT OF THE GYM?
Maria : It made me more conscious of my eating habits and now I’m eating healthier.
Jose: I have more energy and I feel great.
9. WHAT MAKES CROSSFIT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FITNESS PROGRAMS THAT YOU’VE TRIED IN THE PAST?
Maria : The coaching and the great people around us.
Jose: The one on one coaching.
10. IF YOU COULD CREATE A WOD, WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?
Maria : Dead lifts, Back squats, Front squats, Wall balls
Jose: Hand stand Push ups, Pull ups, Sit ups, Push press
11. WHEN YOU’RE NOT AT CROSSFIT, WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING TO DO?
Maria : Spend time with my lovely family.
Jose: Spend time with my beautiful family.