Athlete of the Month – Araceli Rivera
I wanted to take a minute to highlight a couple awesome things about Araceli. Araceli came to our gym with a pretty full plate. She is a mother, a wife, a full time Mechanical Engineering Student at University of Texas and a full time employee at a major engineering firm. She has since graduated, but while in school she prioritized of her health and well-being. She comes to the gym running in a couple minutes late and absolutely crushes it. Cheli is always pleasant and coachable. She doesn’t let a busy schedule keep her from making time for her. Great work Araceli! You are an inspiration to a lot of folks! Keep up the great work!
1.TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF.
I was born and raised in Houston, TX. I’m a recent graduate engineer from University of Texas, been married for 3 years, and a mother of a 2 year old baby girl. I enjoy watching sports and I’m a big fan of Texans football, Houston Astros baseball, and Leonel Messi (soccer).
2. WHAT IS ONE THING WE MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT YOU OR BE SURPRISED TO FIND OUT?
I used to play soccer in high school and college. I miss playing.
3. WHAT MADE YOU START CROSSFIT?
My sister-in-law Raquel Rivera and the thought of losing my baby fat. We were riding bikes one day and she started talking to me about CrossFit. She tried to convince me to join her for several days and finally she did. I can’t thank her enough for it.
4. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT CROSSFIT?
I enjoy the hippo fam! Shout out to coach fab!
5. WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST CROSSFIT MOMENT?
My proudest moment was when I did my first rope climb and strict pull up. One of the best feelings I’ve had.
6. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVEMENT/LIFT? LEAST FAVORITE?
Favorite: Rope climbs and power cleans
Least favorite: DUs and deadlift
7. WHAT ARE YOUR CROSSFIT GOALS? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO REACHING THEM?
I want nice abs. I’m still far but I’m motivated to reach this goal very soon.
8. WHAT IMPACT HAS CROSSFIT HIPPO HAD ON YOUR LIFE IN AND OUT OF THE GYM?
CrossFit has helped me feel stronger physically and mentally. I have more confidence in myself and keeps the competitive side of me. I wake up each day feeling great and ready to face new challenges. I feel I have earned every pound and muscle after doing CrossFit for 2 years.
9. WHAT MAKES CROSSFIT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FITNESS PROGRAMS THAT YOU’VE TRIED IN THE PAST?
I’ve never been as strong as I am now after joining CrossFit. Other programs have helped me drop weight and gain endurance, but CrossFit has helped me become physically and mentally stronger, build endurance, and lose weight all together. In CrossFit I get stronger every day and I am proud of myself for what I have accomplished.
10. IF YOU COULD CREATE A WOD, WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?
1 rope climb
9 Power cleans
9 wall balls
11. WHEN YOU’RE NOT AT CROSSFIT, WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING TO DO?
Spending time with my daughter, eating, and watching movies. I also enjoy traveling with my hubby.