I’ll try to put into words what Shaun’s commitment, dedication and support has meant to our Hippo Family over the years. Shaun has been a member since the beginning. He has been committed before the Commitment Club was even a thing. Shaun continues to improve and challenge himself every single day. We have grown together over the years as our gym family has ebbed and flowed the real solid consistency is …Shaun will be here giving it everything he has got no matter what. We love you Shaun! Congratulations on being our Athlete of the YEAR for 2017!
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF.
- I’m originally from Houston and have 2 boys, Ethan and Jace, and our dog Sadie. I met my wife Jeannie at the same middle school our oldest son currently goes too, and we have been together since October 31st, 1999. I went to college at St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas, and currently work in Rosenberg for the Fort Bend Appraisal office. I’ve been a member of Crossfit Hippo since June 2015, and have enjoyed EVERY single day!
WHAT IS ONE THING WE MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT YOU OR BE SURPRISED TO FIND OUT?
- I played lacrosse in college for 2 years, but never really spent a lot of time in the weight room.
WHAT MADE YOU START CROSSFIT?
- When I use to work downtown, I would go the YMCA during lunch. One day I noticed some co-workers I knew doing a CrossFit-type workout together. Curious, I asked about it and they were kind enough to invite me to join them the next day. I’ve never looked back.
WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT CROSSFIT?
- I enjoy the community and working together with people that share the same passion for fitness and having fun as I do. The positivity all the members at Crossfit Hippo bring is very addicting, and truly is the best way to start the day off right.
WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST CROSSFIT MOMENT?
- The proudest CrossFit moment I’ve had has to be representing Crossfit Hippo at the Bring the Heat competition in September 2017. I’ve never done a CrossFit competition before and really didn’t want to embarrass the gym or my partner, so I was super nervous. But to see the whole gym come out and support all the Hippo teams was amazing.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVEMENT/LIFT? LEAST FAVORITE?
- My favorite movement is the Muscle Up (either bar or ring), mainly because it took me so long to finally figure out the correct technique.
- My least favorite movement is the Snatch; it’s still a working progress.
WHAT ARE YOUR CROSSFIT GOALS? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO REACHING THEM?
- Goal 1: PR my snatch with correct form and technique.
- Somewhat close, but more practice at a lighter weight is definitely needed
- Goal 2: PR my max effort mile, shooting for under 7:30.
- Not close right now, but that’s because I don’t care for running in the cold air.
- Goal 3: Be able to get 10 alternating pistols unbroken.
- Not even close right now, I haven’t been practicing these enough.
WHAT IMPACT HAS CROSSFIT HIPPO HAD ON YOUR LIFE IN AND OUT OF THE GYM?
- Crossfit Hippo has changed my life completely. Inside the gym, I’ve learned to be more humble and patient. I finally realized that it’s okay to scale in order to have a better workout and that finishing a really grueling workout is just as rewarding as finishing first. Outside of the gym, I’ve learned that proper nutrition and rest days are essential for athletes to notice performance gains. Hippo has given me a place to get away from stress and distractions for an hour, to just workout with friends and have fun. That helps carry over to my family and to my job, knowing that I’ve already accomplished a lot by working out first thing in the morning.
WHAT MAKES CROSSFIT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FITNESS PROGRAMS THAT YOU’VE TRIED IN THE PAST?
- Crossfit is different than other fitness programs because it is constantly changing and challenging an athlete to adapt quickly. I feel that I am in the best shape of my life thanks to the consistency and intensity CrossFit offers. The programming at Crossfit Hippo is tremendous as well. It has options for every athlete, but still pushes you to a limit you never thought you could surpass. It helps build the fundamentals and proper technique first, then the weight later, which helps boost your confidence and endurance.
IF YOU COULD CREATE A WOD, WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?
- 20 AMRAP:
- 1 – Ring MU
- 5 – Power Cleans, #155
- 10 – Handstand Pushups
- 15 – Situps
- 20 – Dbl Unders, Must be unbroken!
WHEN YOU’RE NOT AT CROSSFIT, WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING TO DO?
- Taking our dog for walks with the whole family.